Pic(k) of the week 29: NEW YORK IN THE RAIN - when luck is on your side

New York city, remains my number one preferred destination when it comes to Street Photography! Needless to say, I'm always looking forward to hunting the streets of Manhattan, whenever the opportunity arrises. 

Such was the case last week, when I spend 48hrs in the Big Apple! Unfortunately the weather wasn't on my side the first day, as it was pretty much pouring rain the whole day. 

You might not think so, but shooting from under an umbrella with a lightweight set-up like the Fujifilm X-T2 and 23mm f2 lens is clearly not a show-stopper.  Been partially invisible under the umbrella actually has an advantage whenever one is after those candid moments.

Although Street Photography is mostly about observation and catching the right moment, occasionally some luck is involved...

Such was the case in the image below, when I was shadowing a lady walking her dog; I was attracted by the colorful umbrella and the dogs coat. Little did I know that in one of the frames I took, the dog was looking straight into a "pet shop"! Yes, PetCo is indeed a pet shop; I actually had to look it up when I was back home.


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T2 with the XF 23mm f2 lens
  • ISO 1600, f 5.6, 1/400s (using Auto ISO set at a min 1/400s shutter speed)
  • SOOC (Straight Out Of Camera) using the Acros +Y Film Simulation, no further image editing
More of my New York Street Photography can be found here

Remember; "Luck is great but most of life is hard work" - Iain Duncan Smith

BJORN

Comments